It’s October and that means Halloween in around the corner. From costumes, to jack-o-lanterns, to spooky home decor, Halloween is a maker’s playground. Each week for the month of October the MakerBoos… sorry the MakerBus team will post a different list of ideas for different maker Halloween projects.
This week we’re looking a fun ways to transform the traditional jack-o-lantern into something new.
- Tinker-bell Pixie Dust Jack-o-Lantern – This awesome Instructables project shows how a stencil and a power drill can take your jack-o-lantern to the next level. The idea of drilling into a pumpkin with different sizes of drill bits to create the pixie dust effect is brilliant.
- 3D Printed Pumpkin Moustache – Bring a little whimsy to your jack-o-lantern with the stylish 3D-printed pumpkin moustache.
- Smart Pumpkin Using Arduino and NeoPixel – If you’re looking for a great introduction to Arduino and Adafruit’s NeoPixel ring, check out this tutorial for making a glowing, colour changing jack-o-lantern. Plus, if you need a way to store a battery inside of a pumpkin, check out this Thingiverse file.
- Pumpkin Battery – Why put batteries into a pumpkin when you can make batteries from a pumpkin? This tutorial shows an easy way to turn a series of pumpkins into a 1.5V battery. Last year we tried turning pumpkins into batteries using zinc and copper and it’s a great project to teach kids about how batteries work.
- Paper Pumpkin – Not all jack-o-lanterns have to be made from pumpkin. Using this tutorial you can make beautiful pumpkins from paper. A great art project for a rainy October afternoon.
Do you have any maker jack-o-lantern projects planned for Halloween? If you do, we’d love to hear about them. Share your maker jack-o-lantern ideas in the comments of this blog post. And come back every week this month for more maker Halloween fun!
If you liked this article, why not follow the MakerBus on twitter (@DHMakerBus) or like us on Facebook (/dhmakerbus)? We post some of the most creative maker projects found on the web every day. If you #getonthebus, we promise a fun ride!
-The MakerBus team